bounce: fish id wanted

this bounced.

From: "David A. Youngker" <nestor10@mindspring.com>
To: "Apisto List" <apisto@majordomo.pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 15:50:54 -0500

Hey all,

I have a question concerning the identity of a fish which came in with
an
apisto shipment. Unfortunately, I can't even narrow the area it's from,
as
the shipment contained a collection from a wholesaler labelled as
"assorted", much like shops do with their African cichlids.

The fish are currently about an inch long. The body itself is slightly
compressed vertically, with a high arching back and no break in the line
form from the top of the head to the back (no "brows" or dips, notches,
etc.). The lips are well-formed, but not thick, and form a bit of an
"underbite", with the lower lip extending just past the upper.

A single, flowing dorsal shows the top tips of the stripes at its base,
black frontal stripe continuing a body stripe through the fin itself
(but
with a clear leading edge), and is otherwise fairly clear except for an
upper edge stripe of faint blue-green. Paired pectorals in the usual
place,
and a single, oval-shaped anal fin, all clear in color at the moment.
The
tails are rounded, and on a couple of the fish there is a hint of the
same
blue-green of the dorsal edging just behind the caudal spot.

Overall coloration is a sort of pale rusty-orange which sometimes shows
hint of olive shading. Seven vertical body stripes that are more bands
than
stripes. When the stripes fade, their centers fade first, leaving at
times
what seems to be twice as many thin, zig-zag patterned stripes before
fading
almost entirely. The orbital stripe starts *behind* the head at the top
(from the forward-most stripe, which at that point may be whole or
split),
comes forward through the eye and down to the corner of the small mouth.
It
forms almost a good 45-degree angle as it sweeps forward. The caudal
spot
is
central to the last stripe, and rarely fades out (the spot, that is).

The eyes are similar to a Boreliis in that a small, clearly defined
black
pupal is barely surrounded by a hint of yellow. It is not large and
pronounced, as with Rams, Discus or other "red-eyed" cichlids.

Unfortunately, I don't have the most extensive library. And I'm still
working on a way to post my own photos to my site. If this is enough
information to get pointed in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. If
the
info needs more elaboration, that's a possibility - I brought home six
of
'em.

-Y-

David A. Youngker