Re: reducing water hardness for breeding discus

Oops haven't checked did not know what that people were wondering about
the torf bomb. Get a 30gal or larger trashcan or other water conatiner
that is fish safe. Attach a canister filter (I use a fluval 403 large
and cheap if you can find a used one) fill the bottom basket with
zeolite and then the rest of the chamber with as much peat inside a
stocking as possible, at least 5 liters. (BTW this was recommended to me
by a apisto member). Then hook this up to the container and let it run
until the water turns to a coffee or tea color. Test it and keep it
running till it reaches the desired range. Then run it through a good
quality carbon to remove some of the color if it is not desired. Then
let it sit, make sure it has stabalized where you want it. Then use. The
peat acidifies but also exchanges calcium ions and the zeolite takes
care of sodium. Also, you could through some anacharis in and leave that
in light to lower the hardness a bit. It is a cheap way that simulates
the natural enviorment of the discus. I am not sure the translation of
torf but that my friends of a torf bomb. You may want to start a torf
post to get further opinions but I have found it works great. It was
invented long before ion exchange and R/O and was used by the first
Discus breeders. Roger told me how to do this so ask him if you want
more info. Do not use the torf bomb directly on the tank and if you do
not see results after a few uses to trade out the peat, do not let the
peat dry out as it will go anerobic, always treat with carbon before use
due to chlorine in the water and ammonia from the peat. Oh use canadium
always use canadian sphangnum moss, it is pure with no pesticides or
fertilizers (there I am stimulating your economy Steve now Canada will
conquer the world from the profits of it's peat moss). Also, the aged
peat is highly prized by killi keepers so see if you can work something
out with a killi keeping friend.

Lewis

>From owner-apisto@listbox.com Wed Jan 27 17:56:15 1999
>From: Apflanzeneh@webtv.net
>Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:42:10 -0800 (PST)
>To: apisto@majordomo.pobox.com
>Subject: Re: reducing water hardness for breeding discus
>
>I think torf is german for peat.....my guess is that it is a cannister
>filter filled with peat,and the zeolite is to take out the colour.
>I 've heard lewis refer to it before,never bothered to ask,just assumed
>thats what it was.
>
>Steve
>Van.B.C

Archives"!