Re: ph, gravel, and filters

---IDMiamiBob@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/27/99 7:04:08 PM Mountain Standard Time,
> pm_evans@yahoo.com writes:
>
> > Based on responses to the list, I conducted
> >  an experiment where I placed various rocks
> >  and gravel in pie tins with disilled water
> >  then tracked the ph.
> >
> >  Unfortunately I got no diffinative answers.
> >  As expected the distilled water by itself
> >  maintained a ph of about 6.0.  The ph of
> >  the tins with other stuff in them were always
> >  higher.  Most reached equilibrium between 6.8
> >  and 7.2.  However, the one with gravel went
> >  upt to 7.6.  Further the one with gravel was
> >  the only one the bounced back to alkiline
> >  territory after I put ph Down in the pie tin
>
> I would be suspect of the pie tins if they are  actually metal.  But
at least
> you are moving along a sound course.  Try it again with glass pie
pans or
> porcelin/ceramic/china cereal bowls.  I would also say from what
you've

> >  Thanks for any advice.  Especially any ideas about
> >  why the ph rises in the pie tins containing more than
> >  distilled water.
> >
> Because the metal that the pie pan is made from, is reacting with
the very
> limited amount of acidity in the water.
>
> Bob Dixon

The experiement used aluminum pie tins for the most
part.  It is possible that they are part of the
problem but the distilled water alone in the aluminum
pie tin remained quite acidic.  Lastly, the last test
I did with the epoxy coated gravel was in a
porcilin dish and the ph rose from around 6.0 to
7.2 in 24 hours.

I would like to thank the list members for all of
their advise.

Paul