Re: WATER pH/hardness/conductivity

>> would like to set the pH at 6.0 in one tank and 6.5 in another, but
haven't
>> yet been able to hold the pH for very long at anything other then 7.5
and
>5.0.

I'll give you my two cents on this stuff, I live in Vancouver canada.
The municipal water supply is VERY soft, about 4ppm total hardness.
I buffer the water at 7.0 using a commercial buffer (Proper ph 7.0)
since it also removes the copper from the water too.  I use peat in
tanks where a lower than 7 ph is desired.  I use the peat you buy in
huge bags because it's cheap and the ph sits at around 6.4 - 6.6.

Good luck
Kevin