Re: A. cacatuoide - hybrid

Mike Roberts wrote:

> A question about color differences in these fish (A. cacatuoide)  A semi
> local fish store (90 miles away) imports Apistogramma sp. on a regular
> basis.
>
> On his next order he has availability of:
>
> Apistogramma cacatuoides double red xxlg
> [..]
> Apistogramma cacatuoides triple red
>
> What is the difference in these two besides appearance?  Does anyone know
> where I can see a picture of the "triple red" on the net?
>
> I have found a lot of nice pictures of the "double red" but none of the
> "triple red".
>
> Mike Roberts
I am extremely skeptical of double/triple red designations. There are
two problems in my experience of these fish:
it seems a common practice for some commercial breeders, prior to the
wholesaler getting hold of the fish, to send along females from
unselected forms. It's really hard to get a nice bunch of fry,
colourwise
I've also seen breeders who did have triple red (colour in the dorsal,
caudal) sell their colour culls as double red. they can be from the same
spawning, just with a lot less red.
They're still pretty fish. I'm keeping a nice 'double-red' that's my
only selected apisto - indeed, my only selected fish. It's just that if
you pay extra for 'triple' you may just see it for the lifetime of the
individual male. When I first bred my doubles, the first generation was
quite a drop in redness, but over a few generations, they've stabilized
into have the kind of red-orange you sometimes see on wilds, but in
quantities you never see on wild fish.
-Gary