Re: Peat water and water parameters

Colin writes:

>  Does anybody around here knows the way peat reduces the hardness ?
>  Is it by some kind of exchange like resins ?

As I understand it, the carbonate hardness (alkalinity) is redieced by the
standard acid-buffer reaction that converts the carbonate to CO2 and H20.  THe
general hardness is reduced by the Ca and Mg getting bound chemically to the
peat fibers.  Overall, you end up with more total dissolved solids, but
lowered conductivity, because the compounds the peat adds are not ionic in
nature.

Bob Dixon