Why do they ignore live brine and eat flakes?

Hi,
I've had my A, panduro & D. filamentosus for a week now, and have
noticed something that I would never have predicted.  I've fed them both
flakes and live brine shrimp.  The Apistos seem to do okay with the
brine, but they don't eat as much as I'd expect.  The Dicrosus OTOH,
seem to ignore the brine.  They seem to be healthy, and go for the
flakes that I've feed them, but they let the brine swim circles around
them!  Has anyone had similar experiences?
Peter