P. taeniatus or subocellatus Matadi?

hi yall,  thanks to all who offered suggestions to my question.  my fish are
very small at the moment but they have been losing their shyness more and
more.  since the male lacks dark ocelli in the caudal fin, i'm more inclined
to think of them as P. subocellatus Matadi black.  they are definitely not P.
pulcher, and i'm inclined to think they are not "taeniatus" although they
don't look exactly like the picture in the linke-staeck book.

as someone pointed out, the "taeniatus" complex is probably not a single
species, just like the Mesonauta (festives or "festivum") and bolivian rams
are not a single species either.

tsuh yang chen, nyc