A.cruzi, et. al.

Paul Evans wrote:

>1.  Do they breed in pair, trios, or both?

Either one will work given enough space. For a trio I wouldn't use anything
smaller than a 20L.

>2.  According to Mayland and Bork their natural
>water is not all that soft and around neutral
>ph.  What water conditions have you bred them
>in?

We've collected them along the Iquitos-Nauta Hwy near Pintuyacu. The water
values vary from pH 6.4 to 8.2. The last value was taken near Paujil at a
Gamitana (Pacu) farm that had entrapped some A. cruzi and A. cacatuoides.
Here the water temperature was also extremely high, reaching 93.4F at noon.
That's right 93.4F!!! Interestingly most were males.

>Mayland and Bork also state the A. cruzi
>is amoung the easier to breed, do you agree?

The above data shows that this species is not particular about water
parameters. In Aquaria we have bred them in soft, slightly acidic water and
also in moderately hard ph 7.6 water.

Good luck,

Julio