Re: A.sp.Malome-a possible answer

Vern Wensley wrote:

> Hi Mike and Marco.
> A.sp.LAGUA-ABUNA is very,very close to the fish I have.Body shape and finage
> are almost identical.Add red color to the caudal fin and blue spangling to
> the cheeks and you would have my fish.The picture of the female is close
> except for the black markings below the lateral line.When they were young I
> had suspicions that they might be regani,because they had the regani
> barring.You guys sure know your stuff,thanks for all the help!
> I better mention that I am looking at the pics in the Aqualog.
> Vern.
> Ps.Are they a regani fish?

Dear Vern:
Yes, you are right; both fishes are very closely related, if not the
same one.
A. sp. Lagoa Abuna comes from the town of 'Placido de Castro' (Acre
State, Brazil) in a lake besides Rio Abuna (left-bank tributary of Rio
Madeira); A. sp. Malome (=AP513 = A. sp. Mamore blue) comes from lower
Rio Mamoré (Rondonia State, Brazil), just before its confluence with Rio
Beni, when it then receives the name of Rio Madeira (same Rio Madeira as
to which Rio Abuna is a tributary).
Both localities are distant about 225 kilometers one from the other in
straight line.
I will leave to Mike two points, after he sees the "Atlas 2300" picture:

1) If both fishes are identical or not;
2) Since A. sp. Mamore blue is already being used for the "blue form" of
the fish currently in the hobby as A. sp. Mamore, which common name
should apply to "AP513".

Cheers.