RO......chemistry

Folks...................I think we need one of you chemist guys to answer
this!!!

My experience with RO's is that they "pull out" the dissolved metals that
are in water.  The result of this process seems to produce water that is
soft (distilled water almost) in terms of hardness but the pH always seems
to be in the middle to low 6's immediatly after the RO unit operates.  After
the water sits for a day or two in my 55 gal barrels, the pH rises to
neutral (7.0)...............from there your pH can be easily adjusted with
whatever you chose to use without any fear of pH "bounce".  The probem of
course is the pH crash since there is a lack of alkalinity......(buffer) to
stop the pH from crashing.  SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...regardless the type of RO
unit the pH is not really DIRECTLY affected.  You may like one RO unit over
another but I would think not because of the pH problem.  Hey.....you
chemists out there ....help........jump big time if I'm incorrect on this
one.  I would really like to know.  I know a book could be written but you
guys do  a good job on almost!
!
all of this stuff..........:-)

Mike

Mike Jacobs
Math Instructor, Center for Advanced Technologies
Lakewood H.S., St Pete, Fl.
mfjacobs@geocities.com
mikejacobs@ij.net