Re: RO......chemistry

>Folks...................I think we need one of you chemist guys to
>>answer this!!!

>My experience with RO's is that they "pull out" the dissolved metals
>>that are in water.  The result of this process seems to produce water
>that >is soft (distilled water almost) in terms of hardness but the pH
>always >seems to be in the middle to low 6's immediatly after the RO
>unit operates.  >After the water sits for a day or two in my 55 gal
>barrels, the pH rises to neutral (7.0)...............from there your pH
>can be easily adjusted >with whatever you chose to use without any fear
>of pH "bounce".  ()

>Mike

As some said earlier here, pH of RO water is absolutely useless.

the pH of pure (or RO) water will bounce (down or up) with every little
acid or basic addition, thus the risk of pH crash if there's not a
little carbonates (kH) to give some buffering capacities. Usually the pH
is around 6 because of diluted CO2.
But with RO water you just have to find the good buffer (not always
easy) to adjust you final tank pH.
Peat is often used as an acidic buffer provider.

my 0,2 eurocents FWIW

Colin