Re: teleocichla proselytus

>Hello,
>I know this isn't an apisto question, but can anyone out there provide
>info on Teleocichla proselytus? I'm wondering about how to sex the fish,
>and about temperature/water requirements. I have the Linke info on other
>Teleocichla species, but I have nothing on this interesting looking
>creature.
>-Gary

Gary,

There is some info on them in the 'Enjoying Cichlids' book edited by Ad
Konings.  If you are willing/able to read German, there are tons of
references on them, mostly in DATZ.

I am working on a reference section in my web site.  It is far from complete
but look under Teleocichla for some refs on these fish.
http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/5491/reference.html
If you cant get to it, let me know. kutty@earthlink.net

Like their relatives Crenicichla, ripe Teleocichla females get a pink belly
and are a bit more stout than the males.  They are rheophilic and dont have
much use for tall tanks.  They seem to be able to position/tilt their
pectoral fins so that the current pushes them down.  Think of it as a
reverse airplane wing.  They are from Rio Tapajos, a clear water river
(whose rapids I was scheduled to visit this July but buying a house in
California has seriously crimped my style and may have to postpone it while
I lift up the sofa cushions and such looking for spare change :-) )

Tapajos has clear, warm, soft, slightly acidic water.  Try pH 6 and 50 uS
hardness.  Frank Warzel said he had to do a lot of water changes to get them
to spawn.  Lisa Wrischnik on this list has spawned them - may be she'll jump
in.

Good luck,

Vinny
kutty@earthlink.net