Re: Nannacara anomala

    I have been through this issue several times with N. anomala and have received much helpful advice from this list.

   The potential problems in the community tanks start when the fry are free swimming.  Whether the mother will be able to defend her increasingly unruly and adventurous children will depend on how big the tank is and who the other occupants are.

  Not wanting to witness a grim sand probably losing struggle, I have opted to move the eggs several times.  I found that when I moved both the eggs and the mother, the mother looked lost and confused in the new tank, but ultimately found her eggs and resumed her care.  However, once free swimming the number of fry slowly diminished and I concluded that she was picking them off slowly when no one was looking.  I can't say whether or not this problem was specific to this female, or was influenced by the move.  When I figured it out, I took the mother out and successfully raised the remaining fry.

   If you do move the eggs, be sure to transfer a lot of water from the spawning tank to the hatching tank.  I learned this the hard way.   When I failed to take sufficient care to avoid shock, a batch of Bolivian ram fry turned out  to be incapable of swimming properly --- a condition referred to on this list as "belly sliders."  I haven't had this problem with N. Anomala, but I would imagine that you cannot be too careful.

   Congratulations and  best of luck!

Matt Diller