Re: tank size, fry growth, and water changes

alex pastor wrote:

> Relatively recently I read a response to a letter by Jack Whattley,  He did
> an experiment whereby he used a very small tank but lots of daily water
> changes and a larger tank with fewer water changes.  The fry in the smaller
> tank grew faster than the ones in the bigger tank.   So, there must be
> something to the pheromone/hormone hypothesis.  And I *won't* suggest this
> as a post-graduate study project.....
>
> G. Kadar

Jack changes 50+% of the water in all his tanks daily...matching ph and
being sure that the hardness is lower than 20 micro seimans for breaders
and young fry...than increasing the ca++ after the fry are a very few
weeks old...he found that the low hardness is needes for discus spawning,
but if he increases the water hardness after the fry are just acouple of
weeks old, they grow faster...the principle similar to feed lot growth of
cattle in Texas...if young calves are shiped to West Texas where the
water is very hard, the cattle put on about 30+ more pounds...and
obviously ca++ is needed for nerve conduction as well as bone growth...