ph & hardness

Thanks mike for the very informative  response.  Now to drop my ph and
hardness!  Is there any recommended way of doing this with apistos?  I
can do it one of two ways that I was thinking.  Either the easy way, to
throw a bag of peat in, or the harder way, to age water, and do it that
way (the way a lot of discus breeders keep their water soft).   Would it
hurt any to just go the peat moss route?  Or should I invest in a large
trash container and air pump and age my water?
  The species I am currently trying to breed include L. Buckelkopf, L.
Thayeri. and D. Maculatus.
      Anyone's experience in this matter is welcome.  Stan