Re: Pelvicachromis taeniatus sexing age

>Hi all,
>
>thanks for all the good help on the AML.
>I succeeded in spawning P taeniatus "moliwe" in my 35 gal community
>tank.
>After 2 months freeswimming the ten living fries are doing well.
>Now the question, when will i be able to determinate the sex of my new
>generation ?
>
>any ideas or tips ?

There are a few things you can look for...  First look at the cadauls,
females have only a few well-defined spots, whereas the males have many
covering the upper edge.  Females have a much more colorful belly region.
Males have a longer extended spike-like dorsal fin witth color along the
upper surface from start to finish, whereas females have club-like dorsals
and color stops a few millimeters from the end of the dorsal.  Don't forget
that males are generally larger than females are.

Hope this helps,
Kevin