spawning

Well Folks......I guess this is why we are in the hobby.  I just had a spawn
and I am beside myself.  You would think after 34 some years raising fish
this wouldn't happen.....BUT...

My    A. elizabethae   spawned some time tonight.  I went in to feed just
now and I couldn't find one of the females of my two pair.  Of course I'm
thinking the worse....that she jumped....when all of a sudden she popped her
head out of the top of a potted plant and her ventrals were as black as
coal.  I investigated the pot and there was the clutch of eggs (about
25-30)!

The bad news.....I had just gotten the fish 5-6 days ago and they were in a
pH of about 6.5 when I got them.  I have been slowly lowering the pH to the
eventual .........oh...... 4.8 or so but I haven't gotten there yet.  The pH
is about 5.9-6.0, microsiemens about 50, now.......don't know if the eggs
will be viable at that pH........but, it seems as though I have a compatible
pair anyway!!

I have slides of the eggs and fish.......will have them ready to show anyone
who wants to look at Detroit next week!!  See you guys at the meeting Friday
night.....I am really looking forward to meeting and putting faces with all
of the names!   Thanks for listening to an excited possible

Mike

Mike Jacobs
Center for Advanced Technologies
Lakewood H.S.