Panduro females?

At the convention I picked up four fish that were supposed to be two pair of
A panduro.  They were small and "blanched" from the conditions in the hotel
room tank.  The fellow selling them was confident he could sexthem, and I
decided to let him go for it.

They have grown some in the last couple weeks, but so far, I'm not so sure he
got it right.  While two of them are darker in color and definitely showing
the male coloration, including the caudal patch, the other two I cannot be
sure are females.  They are yellowish, and have the black chin-blotch that
wraps all the way under, but the mid-body blotch is not visible and the
caudal peduncle is a little on the dark side.  Is there a good way to tell on
young fish which gender they are?  Should that mid-body blotch show, or will
it wait until they are in a spawning mood?

Bob Dixon