Re: Greenhouse gases (was: ram eggs)

In a message dated 7/29/1999 3:09:14 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
alexp@idirect.com writes:

> The US administration does not accept that greenhouse gases are causing a
>  problem.  Now, how can that be when we are releasing into the atmosphere,
in
>  a short period of time, the carbon from coal and petroleum that took
>  millions of years to be fixed by plants?  Go figure.

Al Gore, our Vice-Proned, was in FL last year after the fires that ravaged
dozens of homes.  There he was on the podium in front of a hundred or more
homeless, frustrated victims, waiting to hear of some help the Gov't might
be.  Instead of talking about help, the first words out of his mouth were,
"With all this global warming from YOUR automobiles, this is just the
biginning of what we will face in the future."  Twenty-five minute speach
about global warming, not one word about federal aid.  Don't kid yourself,
Gabriella, the US aministration is taking hothouse gases VERY seriously.

But I've noticed this last week as the local weather forcaster was showing
the daily high, low, and records, that all the record highs in Boise for this
week were set in 1934, and were all about three to four degrees Farenheit
above what we are going through now.

The sun goes through a seventy-year cycle.  If the last hot phase peaked in
'34, then we are right on track for another seven or eight years of warm,
even without hothouse gases.

Remember, Greenland really was green when the vikings landed there in around
1100.  We've been going through a longer solar cycle of cooling for the last
800 years.

I'm not saying that hothouse gases aren't a problem, but it's not what some
folks are making it out to be.  As long as we keep making strides, we will
survive.

Bob Dixon