Re: A. sp. aff. juruensis

Hi,
7:30 on a saturday morning ... the kids let me sleep in.
Thanks to Mike (s) and Julio. I've looked at Mike Jacob's photos, and
I'd say that's a young version of the animal. The yellow patterning is
there, the leopard-skin scarf on the ventrals isn't. The photo fish has
the pattern young males had at the importer's. The fish were spawning in
snail shells all over the holding tanks (pH 7.8) - quite a sight. The
dominant breeding males all had the ventral spots.
Cacatuoides type fish are fascinating. I've had yellow cacatuoides with
dorsal extensions higher than their bodies and non-extended dorsal rays
combined, red spot-tail wilds, and I've seen all manner of yellows and
blues. I had a fish (an ancient, huge lone male) identified as juruensis
by the exporter back in 95. It had a bluish head and a rust-brown body -
like my 89 corolla, but with a lovely high dorsal, clear at the base and
rusty at the tips. It was like a cross between cacatuoides and sp.
Breitbinden. I haven't seen that thing since, but young, it would have
been quite the apisto.
I really do have to get a camera. And a website. Mike Jacobs has done a
great job there
-Gary Elson