Re: will the real A. agassizi Tefe please stand up?

George,

There are a couple of good articles on this fish, but both are in DATZ (German).
Basically the fish were collected in the streams entering Lago Tefé (part of the
lower Rio Tefé) and Lago Catuá (down the Solomões a bit from the Rio Tefé). These
contain black water. A. sp. Tefé was collected with A. agassizii in the same sites.
Because of this the females were very hard to separate. Wild caught fish were
originally kept in 70% rain water/30% tap water (with a dGH of 20º). If my mental
math is close, that would make the dGH around 6º (no claims to accuracy). The pH was
between 6 & 6.5. For breeding they used peat filtered rain water at pH 5.5 and 28ºC
(82ºF). They got spawns of around 100 eggs using live and frozen foods.

Studies reported by Hoffmann & Hoffmann show that Tefé I x Tefé I hatching rates
were 100%; the same for Tefé II x Tefé II. Tefé I x Tefé II had hatch rates of only
20%. Tefé II males x A. agassizii females resulted in only 5% hatch rates while Tefé
II females would not spawn with A. agassizii males.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your fish and let us know of any spawnings.

Mike Wise