Re: cf. vs. aff.

ok, mike, it sounds to me that the major diff. (albeit a slight one) is that
cf. means "different from, but probably same species as, please compare"
whereas aff. means "similar to, but probably different species."

<< A subspecies is presently  considered as nothing but a population within a
valid
 species. >>

we had a discussion about the concept of species in the livebearer list
(which gave me a major headache...).  so, in your mind, the several
"subspecies" of tigers, for example (siberian, west asian, sumatran, javan,
bengal etc.) are populations?  or separate species?  i always assumed they
were universally considered to be subspecies (at least in the old view) but
apparently some newer thinking would even put them in separate species.

tsuh yang chen, nyc