Strange creatures

While checking one of my dwarf chiclid tanks, I noticed a small white worm
looking creature near the gravel line. I have never seen anything like this
before and am wondering if anyone on the list may know what these worm like
things are? They just seem to stay in one place and the fish don't bother or
eat them, which I wish they would. I know they are not hydra since they are
larger and lack the arms or tentacles. Also, if someone knows them, how
could I rid the tank of them? It's a 29-gallon High planted with a trio of
Apistogramma cacatuoides DBL RED. I'd like to know a method to keep from
taking the tank down both fish and plants are doing quite well.
Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jerry F. Kasey
kaseyjms@worldnet.att.net