[GSAS-Member] Visit to Aquarist World in West Seattle

So, as you can see, I have been going on some field trips recently to fish shops.  Bridges in Snohomish the other day and now Aquarist World and I am thinking about that one just mentioned in Marysville soon.  It is kind of funny because I don't actually need anything.  I'm buying my plants at the auction coming up and I am all stocked on fish.  I seem to just geek about fish stores now.  Funny that.

There are photos added in-line again to this email.  If that list feature isn't quite worked out yet and the server strips the pics, email me OFF LIST and I will shoot you the email with pics. For newbies,  OFF LIST means to please not reply to the list as a whole so everyone has to delete your request.  It means to email me directly at Shango@ShangoLos.com

Anyway, Aquarist World is really easy to find. It has big signs and easy parking.

9409 Delridge Way
(between Cambridge St & S 17th Ave)
Seattle, WA 98106
(206) 767-1878

I walked in and immediately saw the huge tanks at the front door I think Jeff  mentioned earlier on the list.  Those are worth going to see alone.  I didn't post a picture of them to save you the surprise.  WOW!  What a stingray!  The owner was nearby too and he welcomed me and asked if I was looking for anything in particular.  I said no but told him he was getting great reviews on the club list and that is why I was there. (Plug for the club!)

Then I looked straight ahead and saw 13 rows of 30 tanks per row!  That is 390 tanks for those of you keeping score!  These pics are looking straight and right at one of the row ends.

They all had a yellow tinge to them which made no sense to me.  It tainted the color of the fish and made everything look kind of dirty but it actually was all very, very clean.  It wasn't the lights themselves but rather the color of the colored tank backing.  I would really reconsider that choice if I owned the place.  The tanks are also hardly lit which I didn't car for.

There sure were alot of fish though.  The species choices seemed to be targeted for more of an Asian clientele with lots of goldfish, arowana and other fish that I was unfamiliar with being focused more on tropical myself. I'd say 65% of what was there held no interest to me as a tropical hobbyist.   Most of the specimens looked really healthy though.  Sure, there were some dead ones but I guess that should be expected with so many tanks to keep.  Now that I think about it, everything I saw that was dead was a loach.  Kuhli, clown and maybe botia.

Indeed, they did have a great dry goods section.  Not as much as Bridges but definitely the most I've seen in Seattle proper.  Some of the foods were not of the quality I'd buy but they had alot of toys and tools I'd buy and had never seen.  He had a water change hose from Aqueon that I totally coveted.

There wasn't really any marine fish but he had an excellent selection of Live Rock at $5-6/lb

He had a really decent Koi selection for being in the city too.  I prefer Russell Watergardens in Redmond but this place is closer and may have more exotics.  It is beyond me.  They sure were fun to look at though.  A slight tap on the wood frame and they paid me lots of attention.  =)

He had this floating alligator that scared the hell out of me when I turned around and saw it!

There was one small aquarium with plants.  It wasn't very well kept.  I'd call it a zero on plants.

Finally, there is a shop adjoined that is worth the walk though. Maybe his wife runs it.  It is a store for arborists and they had all sorts of ferts in bottles.  I bought some really great organic soil for the sprout garden in my kitchen.  Also, it was the first time I have seen Bat Poop in a Bag!

I'd say Aquarist World is definitely worth the visit and supporting the store.  While I was there two other groups of Asian folks came through and they were totally geeking on fish I was unfamiliar with.  Not many folks making purchases though. Hopefully I was just there at a slow time.  The owner was definitely a nice fellow.

In Service,

Shango