Re: Point of Entry for Submissions and Volunteers to help with Scanning

O.K. - we seem to be getting someplace now....

Erik wrote, in response to a comment I made:

> 8. We need a "point of contact" for the contest, possibly multiple "points
> of contact" - one for information only, another for either information
> and/or submission of entries. As it appears that Erik is the one with the
> ability to handle the scanning of both prints AND slides, I suggest that
he
> would be the logical point for "Submission of Entries".

No problem.  If we get inundated, I can farm out some of the work to any
of the other people who've offered to help on this list with their own
slide/neg/print scanners.
-------

This sounds good to me. If everyone who has scanning equipment and who is
willing/able to help handle any overflow would please contact me OFF LIST
(jpurch@interlog.com) with what you can handle, I'd appreciate it. I know
that several folks have already said that they can do this but I'd like to
get a proper list of people's names and mailing addresses, together with the
make and model numbers of their scanning equipment (or at least the REAL
resolution your equipment can deliver) and the sizes you can handle. Once I
have the list I can pass it to Erik.

I'm still concerned about shipping stuff across the country multiple times,
but I guess that we could use insured mail or Purolator if necessary.

Anyone have anything further to say on this???

Erik also wrote, in response to my comments about possibly publishing
materials in "any" magazine:

> Total agreement on the points, though I had to think for a minute on the
> blanket "may be republished in *any* magazine" clause (those sorts of
> rules usually give me a bad feeling).  It's probably OK.

Maybe I wasn't very clear there... I can envision the possibility that
perhaps Neil, or Karen, or someone else speaking for the AGA, might author
an article for submission to one of the "glossies" (I believe that was the
term Karen used for them) - like Aquarium Fish Magazine (AFM) or Freshwater
and Marine Aquarium (FAMA), promoting either the AGA or the Contest (or
both) and they _might_ wish to use a photograph from the contest to help
illustrate the article. I'm not saying that this _would_ happen, nor even
that it _should_, but I can see that it _could_ and if we make it clear at
the outset that submitted material can be used by the AGA to promote either
the AGA or the Contest, then we would be covered as far as having a
"release" to use the image. I'm not a lawyer (but I do have lawyers working
for me) - so if anyone wants to slap me on this, feel free... does anyone
think that we _shouldn't_ be looking to get this right of use, provided that
we give credit where credit is due. I've entered lots of photo contest over
the years and this seems to be a standard clause in most of them.