Re: Returning Submissions

Ken Guin wrote in response to one of my many missives...

(me...)
>>In that way, for example, if someone has a smashing
>>photo they wanted to submit they could do so, and we would be free to use
it
>>for promotional/other purposes while the submitter retains the copyright
and
>>freedom to use/sell/publish/whatever his creation as well?

(Ken...)
>James: I am not a copyright lawyer, but I think you have mentioned a
>possible solution to this problem before. We should require each
participant
>to sign a well-worded release giving us publishing rights. That release
>could also include wording which gives the participant ownership of the
>photo. I think it would also be reasonable for us to return a print or
slide
>to the owner if they include a SASE along with their submission.

Hopefully, you are right Ken. I'd still like it run by a lawyer though...
I'd hate to see the AGA or any of us either collectively or individually hit
with a copyright infringement lawsuit (and no, I don't think it's being
paranoid in making sure that we are protected on this issue). And I _would_
like to see entrants retain the ownership and rights to use their own work.

Karen probably has more experience with this sort of thing than the rest of
us, as she frequently has material published in magazines.

Your second point, in an "ideal world", I could also agree with. But none of
us lives in an ideal world.... and despite the best intentions, mistakes
_can_ happen. If we stipulate up front that entries will _not_ be returned
and request that only duplicate slides/prints be submitted, we avoid
disappointing anybody. Please see Karen's earlier comments about the last
AGA contest... Olga's pictures went missing.... (and Karen is _still_
feeling bad about it...)