Re:criteria

Roger wrote:
Among the question marks on the draft outline I mailed, I put the 2nd
highest priority on the standards for judging.  We haven't talked much
about that at all.  I proposed a panel of 5 to be chosen from AGA.  There
would be other options.  I think that the artistry displayed in the
aquascape has to be the primary criterion.  This is not a simple criterion
and other criteria are probably needed.  We really need input and this is
a point where someone who has juried art shows might be able to give us
some good input.
Any ideas?<<

I am no expert on this, I have never entered or been involved in such a contest,
but here are my thoughts:

define artistic style
does it show depth
does it recreate a natural scene, (if this is the intent)
does it show ingenuity?
effective use of space
Do we want to include biotope recreations?

Things like water conditions would be impossible to verify. Do the plants look
vibrant and healthy? How important is this for this type of competition?

Should we have separate classification for tank size? One for small tanks,
(under
55 gallon) one for large tanks, (over 55 gallon, or over 100 gallon)?

drawing a layout...I am NOT in favor of this. It might very well be someones own
style not to follow a plan, but to design it on the cuff. It might also
discourage beginers or young people from participating. I am also in favor of
having 4 different angle or distance shots required for submission. One showing
how the tank looks in the room, and then closer shots with one having the full
tank taking up as much of the frame as possible. Close ups of plants or fish
should be discouraged. With some set ups side view shots may not be possible.

Can we limit the submissions to two rather than one?

Speaking of children, should we consider a separate classification for children?

Robert Hudson
San Jose, CA