Re: Adjenda Setting

Well, we certainly are generating a lot of ideas. And getting a lot of good
input to boot. Until now, I have been careful not to try and direct either
the conversation or limit discussion of any point (and I know that I have
been guilty on more than one occassion for going on and on and on...).

Anyway, we must be careful that we don't get too many topics out on the
floor for discussion at any one time. The tendancy then might be to miss
some important points which should be decided upon first and could affect
issues that come up later. Let's be logical in all of this. It should also
make it easier for folks to follow.

As the unofficial _chair_ (_whip_ might be more like it), I reserve the
right to set the adjenda of this forum. And I'm about to do just that.

Please don't introduce any _new_ issues until we have finished our
discussion of and decided upon the things which are already on the floor.

So far, we have discussed a number of points:

A. Nature of the Beast - contest/showcase/whatever

- This is pretty much over. This "thing" will have aspects of both Contest
and Showcase and they are not mutually exclusive nor overly competative. I
think that the majority of contributors here are comfortable with this dual
nature. If you are not, please say your bit and let's reach a concencus.

B. Scope of the Beast -

- Entries are to be limited to images of Freshwater Planted Aquariums. Ponds
and Marine Aquariums are excluded. The focus of the event is on Aquascaping
not Photography. However, as all enteries will be photographs of some sort -
the quality of the photography is going to play a very important part. Let's
accept the fact and move on.

C. Endorsement / Backing -

- Our porposal, once ready, shall be submitted to the AGA MC for
consideration and acceptance/rejection as an official AGA event. The AGA MC
may either accept it, reject it, or request that we ammend it. We will cross
that bridge when we get to it. I shall prepare the submission, based upon
the material we discuss/decide upon. The submission shall be posted to the
list prior to being submitted to the AGA MC, for final discussion, and to
allow for any necessary adjustment the group may feel necessary.

D. Name of the Beast -

- several have been suggested but this is still open for discussion

1. The Aquatic Gardeners Association On-line Aquascaping Festival
2. AGA International Aquascaping Competition
3. AGA International Millenium Aquascaping Competition

(IMAC would _definately_ get us in truble with the legal department of Apple
Computer, so I guess its out. Thank's Olga, I completely missed that
acronym).

I like #2 - we could accept it as is or ammend it in various ways...

2b. AGA International Aquascaping Competition & Showcase
2c. AGA International Aquascaping Showcase & Competition
2d. AGA International Aquascaping Showcase
2e. AGA International Aquascaping Festival

If anyone else has suggestions for a name, let's hear them... I think we
want to acknowledge the AGA and stress the International scope in whatever
we finally decide upon.

E. Entries - Acceptable Formats

- Entries may consist of Photographic Prints, Transparencies, or Electronic
Images.

We have flogged this a lot, but we are not done with it yet.Most people are
assuming that all entries shall be in colour but I see nothing wrong if
someone wishes to submit Black & White images (if you have never seen a good
large format Black & White Transparency, you don't know what the word
"delicate" can truly mean).

In the "small print" we can specify size ranges for both prints and slides -
I suggest a range of 4"X6" - 8"X10" for prints and 35 mm - 120 mm for slides
(that is, if Erik or someone else has the facilities to handle 120 mm
slides - it would give me a chance to dust off my Rolliflex.)

Electonic images present a bit more of a problem. We are going to have to
decide upon both maximum and minimum pixel size of entrant submitted
material (I shudder to think of a 30 MB image file moving over the Internet)
and we are also going to have to specify a minimum bit-depth of image
format, both for what may be submitted and for images that we shall convert
ourselves (from any submitted prints or slides). Different computer systems
have different "image format" standards - not all of them are compatible
and/or easily convertible one to the other. Some formats, such as GIF images
can hold only 256 colours, some formats, such as JPEG's, are compressed in a
manner which drops information contained in the original image and can
result in "blocky" images. The format/s we accept and/or use internally must
be capable of holding full image information WITH NO LOSS, and should be
common on Windows PC's, MAC's, and Unix/Linux systems (Erik, you run the
KRIB using Linux don't you? With Gimp as your image processing software?)

I suggest that Erik give us some guidance here. I think it is important to
remember that we will want images which if they are good enough, can be
printed in magazines (or possibly even an AGA calendar). Scanning images for
use on the Web is NOT the same thing as scanning images for ultimate
reproduction in hard copy format. That much even I know. If we are not very
careful and specific in how we specify the format of user scanned material,
we could end up with photos which are useless for reproduction in TAG. Erik
can always take an image scanned at 300 dpi down to 96 dpi for Web use.

Now, before everyone jumps in here - please think - do you have EXPERIENCE
with preparing newsletters and professional level publishing? I have done
some of this. It _isn't_ a piece of cake.

I don't want folks saying that they were planning on using their "Snappy"
video camera to take the photos and that I am going overboard. I would
_much_ rather see someone photograph their aquarium using traditional
photographic equipment and leaving it up to Erik and the other scanning
helpers to produce the required scans for use on the Web and in TAG. I have
seen plenty of "electronic" images on people's websites which were taken
with first or second generation video still cameras and they SUCK. They are
blurry, blocky and not of "reproduction quality". You would be hard pressed
with a video camera to match a 55mm Micro-Nikkor on 35mm Fujichrome or
Kodachrome.

F. Submission Elements / Constituents:

- Most folks have said that they favour multiple images per submission, in
order to be able to get a better feel for the aquascape under consideration.
Several gave specific numbers, both for maximum and minimum. Please refer to
my earlier post concerning the limitations on artistic expression (both of
the aquascaper and the photographer) that any such limits may impose.
Remember that our purpose is inclusion, not exclusion. We have several folks
with scanning facilities and Erik has told me that he can devote upwards of
1 GB of online storage space to this project if necessary. I don't want to
limit the potential creativity of the contributors.

We have also discussed the other elements of a submission (other than the
images). Topics such as tank set-up details, maintenance details, plant
species list, floor plan, etc. have been discussed. Jose (I think) doesn't
like including a plan view but I think that from an educational aspect this
will be vital - remember that this is not just about "pretty pictures".
Someone suggested a format similar to what Amano gives in his books -
something like:

Image Title
Aquarium Volume
Aquarium Dimensions
Lighting
Filter
Substrate
Fertilizer
CO2 Supply
Water Conditions (Temperature, pH, General Hardness, Alkalinity, etc.)
Water Change Schedule
Plant Species list (Scientific names preferred)
Fish Species list
Comments

I suggest that we discuss this and decide on a uniform list of things which
must be stated for each and every sumbission. This should be part of the
entry package in such a way as we get uniformity from all entrants in the
range of information we receive.

G. Submitting Entries / Points of Contact

- All submissions are to go to ONE person/address. I believe that we have
settled on Erik as that person. Requests for information can be directed
either to me or to the AGA Website - where we can place a write-up about the
contest. If enteries reach a level that threatens to swamp Erik, there are
several people with scanning equipment who have offered to help him with
that task. In that event, Erik can get the physical entries to those folks
who will do the scanning and then return both the scans and the originals to
Erik for safekeeping.

One thing which is not quite clear to me yet - for electronic images - do
folks put them on disk and mail the disk to Erik, or send the images as
e-mail attachments? Again, I'm concerned about huge image files moving over
the Web, clogging Erik's in-basket. If we elect to have people put them on
disk and mail them in, we will have to specify a compression format which is
acceptable (like ZIP files).

H. Return of Submissions / SASE

- Forget it, this is _not_ going to happen. All submitted material becomes
the property of the AGA and will not be returned. Anyone not happy with this
can hang their photos on their own walls. We inform people to submit only
duplicates of their originals.

I. Copyright

- We _still_ need to consult with a lawyer on this but I believe that the
best course of action might be as follows:

We make a very prominent statement that while Copyright remains with the
individual entrant, the entrant, by submitting his/her material, grants and
gives the AGA the right to use the material for promotional or other
purposes for either the contest or for the organization.

These possible uses include, but are not limited to:

publication on the Web;
publication in TAG or other AGA publications (like a calendar);
publication on CD-ROM;
publication in an aquarium industry/hobby magazine.

Notice should also state that the aquascaper/photographer will receive a
Credit Line as full and complete payment for the use of the image/material.
No other payment will be due.

J. Judging

- Lots to talk about here.

Several folks have mentioned the use of AGA "experts". Several have
mentioned that Judges be excluded from entering the contest. I made
reference to my hope that we can get International judges and made several
suggestions about possible people to consider. Lots to stil discuss here.

K. Promotion

- Again, lots of ideas, lots of input. But at this point in time, as I'm
sure everyone will agree, our plates are fuller than an All You Can Eat
Buffet in Florida. Let's hold off on discussing this until we get the OTHER
10 points covered, and settled.

--------

So, folks, there you have my little "summation". Sorry that it took so long
to read.... but it took even longer to write... Again, I ask that no _new_
points be brought up until _all_ or these have been decided upon.

I further suggest that we do this logically - let's start with "A" and work
our way through to "J". It might be an idea to cut and paste this into a
text file and either print it out or keep it handy on your computer to refer
to as we work through each item.

(still with sore lungs but now also with carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms...)