Re: Fees, etc.

At 09:33 AM 7/12/99 -0600, Roger wrote:
>To this point the internet orientation of the contest has been pretty
>inherent.  As long as we keep it on line I think the costs will remain
>low.  If we expand the contest to allow off-line participation the
>costs will probably rise.

>Requiring internet access for participation is a small requirement.
>People can get access even without personal accounts and even in remote
>places.  This was brought home to me last winter when I received email
>from a friend who was passing through Bolivia.  On foot.  He found an
>"internet cafe" and mailed from there.

That's assuming that they are not "scared" of computers.  It amazes me,
when I travel from club to club how MANY aquarium people do not have
internet capabilities.  Because we all correspond regularly via the
internet, and if not computer whizes, have at least developed a comfort
level with technology it is easy to forget how many people are not there yet.

>Regardless of any internet availability, some people (like my
>mother-in-law) will simply never use it, even if it would serve their best
>interests.  Maybe it's harsh, but I think the cost of allowing those
>people equal access to the contest will be prohibitive.

If it is going to be an AGA sponsored event, it _must_ be accessible to our
non-computer members.  There is no way around that.

> ---------------------
>
>On to other things:
>

>Schedule:
>
>As Robert Hudson pointed out, the timing of the contest is fairly
>important to promotions.  I think promotion is an important aspect because
>I want to see the broadest participation we can get at a reasonable cost.
>Also, promotion is good for AGA.
>
>I think this winter is probably the best time to do it.  How about
>accepting entries from Dec. 1 through Dec. 31, and (after the
>catastrophic Y2K crash, world depression and famine) have judging Jan
>1 through Jan 31?

I suspect that getting people to send stuff in, let alone asking volunteers
do do all the work involved during the holidays would be a big mistake.

>I suspect some folks on APD will be distressed at having the contest that
>far in the future.

Patience is a virtue when it comes to this hobby ;-)

Karen