Re: Fees

a soapbox.  If it sounded like that's what I was doing, I apologize.  I
*was* presenting some valid opinions.  If anyone is that hung up over
different opinions, and is unable to see the validity of other ideas, then
all I have to say is I'm sorry.

James wrote:
<<<We cannot _assume_ that our financial worries will be over should the AGA
endorse this project. We should concentrate on ensuring that we set this up
in such a way that any potenital costs will be covered - either through our
own pockets as the organizers or thru the setting of modest entrance fees.
As I have said, I'd love to see us be able to do this without such fees due
to the fact that _any_ fees might discourage at least _some_ people from
entering.>>>

Like I said earlier, I don't know what financial state the AGA is in, so
maybe my idea isn't as feasible as I may have thought.  What about selling
the CDROMs for $10 a pop? or even $5?  That won't give us cash up front, but
if we are able to use the AGA treasury, I'm sure it would fill the coffers
back up after the contest!  Heck, if we manage to pull the contest off
without fees, this contest could make quite a bit of money!  How about
making a glossy "program" and selling 'em for $20  each?  I'm not sure about
costs to make them, but it seems that the majority of plant people always
have money to spend on plant stuff, including books.

Roger wrote:
<<<
There are a lot factors that go into determining the cost of the contest
and a lot of those are optional features that we haven't even discussed
yet.  Can we postpone the discussion of fees until we've made a few
decisions about costs?>>>

An excellent idea.  Maybe my unpopular opinion will become a moot point?
:-)

Dave Engle
Escondido (San Diego) California