Re: Keeping 'em Honest - Submission Elements

At 01:25 PM 7/15/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Olga has been sending me photographs of her tanks lately, and one shot in
>particular I just fell for in a big way. It features a beautiful piece of
>driftwood and has what appeared in the overall shot to be a really nice,
>very large rock in the background, with a lush clump of Val's in the right
>center background. What appreared to be overgrown stem plants were obscuring
>the view of the rock and I suggested, after looking at the photo for several
>minutes, that Olga trim them back to bring out the rock into a more
>prominent visual position within the aquascape.
>
>Much to my shagrin, Olga has just informed me that the "rock" and the "clump
>of Val's" are in actuality printed images on the background paper attached
>to the back of the tank!
>
>We are _definately_ going to need detail shots to be able to detect such
>things.
>
>This is no offence to Olga, it is still a beautiful shot of a nice tank, but
>she showed me how _easy_ it can be to fool someone's eye.
>
>James Purchase
>Toronto
><blushing a deep shade of crimson>

First question, does it matter?  If the backgroud is an integral part of
Olga's design, doesn't it count?

Second, if it _does_ matter, ask people to describe the tank background in
their text submission:

i.e. "printed commercial background" or "cork with attached Java Ferns" or
"black paint" (or in Amano's case, an "infinity panel"<g>)

Karen