Re: artistic vs mechanic

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Ken Guin wrote:

> This "artistic" versus 'mechanic" thing comes up quite a bit in photography
> and it looks like it is going to come up here too.

It's an important issue to me.  I think this discussion is the most
important aspect of our planning.

> Along those lines, some might argue that Ansel Adams was more of a
> photographer-mechanic than he was an artist. In fact, he described himself
> that way (he thought most of his talent was in exposure and darkroom
> technique).  So, based on that, Mr. Adams might not have ever won a
> photography contest that was based solely on artistic ability.

Based on that, I would guess that you might be as great an artist as Ansel
Adams!  Neither one of you seems to believe in your own ability, so only a
second party can judge your contribution.

> Unfortunately for me, I think it is much easier for an artist to become a
> mechanic than the other way around. So, when people start talking about
> stressing artistic ability in this showcase/competition, I see the
> "exclusion" flag going up.

I think we're discussing the standards for judging the competition, not
anything that would bear on the showcase aspects or the entry requirements
for the thing.  There's nothing exclusionary going on.

> I was even thinking that maybe at this level of competition most are
> assuming that everyone has mastered the mechanics, and artistic ability
> would be what separates the "wheat from the shaft". If that is the case,
> then so be it - I guess non-artistic people like me would never have a
> chance anyway.

This contest originally came up in the context of an APD discussion of
aquascaping and artistic style.  James has since altered some of the
things I originally wanted to see in the contest, but I sincerely hope he
doesn't want to alter this aspect.  Illustrating art and style was (from
my point of view) the only reason for the undertaking.

I suspect that most of us have about the same artists' qualifications that
I have.  I've trained in art since early childhood (water color pictures
in Sunday school, and hey, do you remember holiday-themed construction
paper cutouts in 3rd grade?) and carried my rigorous training on through
secondary school (I thought it was a better choice than the alternative -
home economics - in that time slot).  I received private art training (a
three-week class one summer when my mother could no longer stand having me
around) and carried on with intensive graphic arts training in college
(ok, it was an engineering drafting class).  Now I continue my deep
involvement in arts by fostering an interest in art and design in others
(I dropped my kids off at some design classes at the university's School
of Architecture).

I even know an artist or two (and some of them are more than 9 years old)
and I live near things that people sometimes paint and photograph.

I may be overqualified for this contest.

This is a field without many rules where there are few guidelines for
what constitutes art; there are no artists; there are no rubes.

> I don't mean to make fun of any of this - really. And, I don't want to start
> an extended thread dealing with art versus mechanics - we have way too many
> other things to consider. However, I would hate to see this become the AGA
> Aquatic Artists Showcase/Competition. I vote for us to consider both aspects
> of the hobby.

As I said earlier, my interest here is specifically in an "aquatic artists
showcase" and I don't think I'm the only one here with that exclusive
interest.  I really couldn't care less for a "grow the biggest sword
plant" contest, or a contest that might hinge on just how many plants can
be grown in a given sized tank.

Roger Miller