Judging

This "artistic" versus 'mechanic" thing comes up quite a bit in photography
and it looks like it is going to come up here too. First of all, I have to
admit that I am NOT an artist - never have been, never will be. However, I
think I have the ability to grow decent plants (aquatic or otherwise). So, I
guess you could say that I am a good "mechanic" -  I can handle the
hardware, fertilizer, etc.

Along those lines, some might argue that Ansel Adams was more of a
photographer-mechanic than he was an artist. In fact, he described himself
that way (he thought most of his talent was in exposure and darkroom
technique).  So, based on that, Mr. Adams might not have ever won a
photography contest that was based solely on artistic ability.

Unfortunately for me, I think it is much easier for an artist to become a
mechanic than the other way around. So, when people start talking about
stressing artistic ability in this showcase/competition, I see the
"exclusion" flag going up.

I was even thinking that maybe at this level of competition most are
assuming that everyone has mastered the mechanics, and artistic ability
would be what separates the "wheat from the shaft". If that is the case,
then so be it - I guess non-artistic people like me would never have a
chance anyway.

I can see this thing taking on whole new horizons now. Ala Erik and his
aluminum-can tank (which I thought was cute), we might also think about art
nouveau tanks with neon lights, maybe even a disco tank with John Travolta
as a celebrity guest. Maybe someone might even throw in a real plant into
these tank canvases.

I don't mean to make fun of any of this - really. And, I don't want to start
an extended thread dealing with art versus mechanics - we have way too many
other things to consider. However, I would hate to see this become the AGA
Aquatic Artists Showcase/Competition. I vote for us to consider both aspects
of the hobby.

Ken Guin