Re: Judging/categories/contestants

At 11:56 AM 7/15/99 -0700, Olga wrote:
>Categories: I agree that sizes would be good but perhaps shape could get in
>there... cube, cylinder, tall, shallow are possiblilties. Comparing a tall
>cube to a long tank is quite different and if a tall cube is only 24"
>should it be able to compete with a regular 20 gallon?? If we had a
>category for tall, for example, and we only got 4 entries for tall we could
>discontinue that category, inform the contestant and tell them they would
>be added to the "size" category or they could withdraw if they'd rather. Of
>course, on the entry form we should probably say that categories depend on
>sufficient entries and pick a minimum number.

It might be better to go the other way, and just state on the entry form
that categories will be fefined if the number of entries warrant.

>I would be willing to have a category for "whimsical" or "novelty" which
>would be planted tanks with pink gravel, sunken ships, divers, bubbling
>clams, green skulls etc. Some of those can be quite fantastic and actually
>deserve a category by themselves... as long as they are "real" planted
>tanks. If they are entered with the more "serious" tanks they probably
>wouldn't stand much of a chance.

It is true that these can be fun.  I once saw a series of 2 1/2G tanks
dressed up as a "circus train"  There were "Zebras" danios in one, "Clown"
loaches in another, and a little "Lion" fish in another.  It was quite fun.
 This could be a category for entries "temporary" set-ups as well. (like
the "flower arrangement" classes at a flower show)

Karen