Re: People's Choice and Judges' comments

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Jose Correa Lohmann wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, James Purchase wrote:
> > I think that Erik has said he will be able to set up something on the
> > Website where the public can register their choices for a "People's Choice"
> > award. My only concern is that whatever software used to do so also have
> > some way of preventing people from voting multiple times.
> >
> On Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:41:11 -0700, Erik wrote:
> >I think we might be able to come up with something for this.  Perhaps by
> >use of 2-way e-mail vote confirmation.
>
> If the votes are through a web browser maybe some kind of cookie to
> know if the user has voted. I don't if this is possible, just an idea.

As James points out, cookies are problematic (can be turned off, don't
carry from brower-to-browser, etc).

What I was thinking of was we set up a page with a voting form, including
e-mail address as part of the form.  Automated response software sends
e-mail reply with a secret confirmation code.  Human being replies to this
and vote is counted.  Multiple votes to same e-mail address are discarded.
Can be overcome if someone has lots and lots of e-mail addresses or
aliases (though it'd probably be easy to spot this), but cuts out your
basic rack-up-the-votes via the web.  And interesting side benefit is that
there can be a checkbox that says "notify me when the winners are
announced" which works with their e-mail address entered.  I should check
and see if someone's already written something like this.

But anyway, let's just assume we have "a method" and move the discussion
back to Art...