Re: Thoughts

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, George Booth wrote:

> One caveat: as most of you know, I am an ex-member of the AGA so my
> opinions may be tainted a bit when things like an "AGA sponsored
> contest" are discussed. I feel it should be an APD contest.

We've been there (twice).  I'm not going to get into that discussion
again, but I'll say this: the contest is only going to be *sponsored* by
the AGA; it's being put on by James and the rest of us.  And I tend to
think that an issue of TAG could be pumped out relatively quickly if there
were enough content to merit it.  Neil has also recently mentioned putting
out a smaller mailing between TAGs to report news and such.

> One thing I don't remember seeing mentioned among categories is the
> perception of expertise of the entrant. There should be overall
> categories of "novice" and "expert" based on an honor system.

Interesting!  I like it.  Wish there were a way to quantify what a novice,
intermediate, or expert is.  In established contests, I think it gets
based on performance in previous contests, so I guess we can only make
guesses for this one.  And I suppose we could reclassify entries up if
they seem to be entered in too low a class (I don't think it's polite or
usual to downgrade people to a lower classification though).