Re: Robert's thoughts

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Olga Betts wrote:

> Robert sees this as simple too. I can't see why we keep complicating it so
> much. It's a planted aquascape contest, plain and simple. :) By keeping it
> simple one remains focused. Showcase whatever, but judge planted tanks as
> we wanted to do originally.

I beleive the disagreements are only in reference to trying to keep
"planted aquascape" as a *rule* (rather than the spirit) in either
showcasing or judging ends up complicating everything.

I think that your suggestions are in line with Justin's message.  We are
very much a planted aquascape contest.  It seems we just can't say
"planted tanks only" without lots of complicated stuff creeping in.  And
frankly, I'd rather ditch those excess rules at the expense of getting a
few off-topic entries.

I am a MAJOR fan of keeping things simple.  I have to deal with this every
day at work... people don't want 18 checkboxes when they fill out a form
or bring up a dialog box on the computer.  Likewise, if we say
"aquascaping contest", and put lots of pretty plant pictures on the
pamphlets and ads, and note it's sponsored by the AGA, I think most people
will get the idea even though we don't have lots of complicated rules.

And I think having the judging go with spirit of the contest will help
here as well.

I also think this will be a moot point.  As others have said, if an
aquascape with plastic plants actually wins, it'll be a doozy of a tank!