Heavily planted... NOT! (about 135)

[Hey, I posted this last night and for some reason it didn't appear in the
digest. I forwarded the original from work and replied to it... does that
have something to do with it... anyway....]

Holy Java Fern!! What a neat digest! Seems like we're getting somewhere at
last.

Okay here goes. Some of you have me wrong. I have absolutely no objections
to a tank with one lovely Java Fern... or some very nice rock with algae on
it being taken into the "planted tank contest". Far from it. If we are
taking entries and then making categories ourselves [I said this to James
earlier] we can put those (just for example here) in a "minimalist"
category (you know, like those guys who get millions of dollars for a red
canvas with one blue stripe). If one is growing a live plant of any
description especially if it is a nice healthy speciman then you have a
planted tank!! Why shouldn't one lovely plant in a beautiful aquascape be
accepted?? Heck one scraggly plant in a really bad aquascape can be
accepted... probably won't win much. <g>

Remember that I was the one who said we should have a "novelty" category
and include all tanks (with plants) that include pink gravel, sunken ships,
naked mermaids...etc. Why not?!

It's fine with me if all entries for the contest are accepted. If we say
the contest is for planted tanks and someone wants to enter a tank with no
plants... well, it just won't do very well will it. <g> No weighted score
sheets needed.

And lets not forget the popular vote. Everything will get to be voted on
there. So no one should feel left out. If we pick our categories carefully
maybe people who never dreamed they had a chance will be voted for. That
will sure bolster them up.

Sorry I gave the impression that we had to have Boothian tanks... not at
all... long as some plant life lives in there.... anddddd... if we want to
judge everything... well the planted tanks would be in a category separate
from "Art" tanks, wouldn't they? We *could* have separate judges for the
two "divisions". That might even be more fair as planted tank judges would
be prejudiced towards plants.

And George, you haven't offended me in the least. Glad you're involved and
I think your ideas are fine...with a little tweeking! <g>

Olga
in Vancouver...home from work til Monday....YAY!!!