Re: About Digest V1 #136

Steve Manby wrote:
>>Olga and I both have the same style of >tanks so I think we agree on
>what *we* >think a planted tank should look like.

I'm with you there but we have moved away from that and I'm willing to be
flexible as it seems everyone else is.

>I think the majority of the people here have this style in
>mind.Personally, I like _all_ fish tanks,rock tanks,plant tanks,but I
>think that the place where this originated (the apd) the masses there,
>also have Olga George tanks as there goal.....but it is impossible to
>think that we could cater  to _everyone's_ taste!

I kinda thought that too... but seems I got the wrong impression. I do
agree with the last part though... we're bound to annoy *someone.*

>there has been so much email here that it is near enuf impossible to
>absorb all of the info,and have a life as well.

Yeah, I know. I had to quit work! (just kidding... but only just)

>James have you thought that your not getting to to much info and
>response from from the majority of the members of this list,because they
>have been intimidated by your statements?

Don't be intimidated by James... he's really a pussy-cat underneath. One
has to roll with the punches and come up fighting... tastefully. <g>

>From: "David Engle" <datruedave@home.com>
>Subject: King James  :-)
>Waaahhh, if you're not mature enough to handle blunt statements and somebody
>else's sense of humor, then I'm not going to miss you, and I would hope that
>nobody else will either.

This isn't nice. I miss Steve already and Dave you should realize that this
e-mail is a tricky medium. A lot can be read into simple things and not
everyone sees things the same way. I understand Steve and you have not
helped by coming back so mean.

>This contest will go nowhere if trivial things like this continue to plague
>us.  I hope that this is the last of these type of comments.

Absolutely, so why did you come back with a nasty comment of your own? And
Pleeeeese... this is not a flame and don't come back at me... I just want
to point out that we should all be kind to each other here. I apologize up
front if I have offended you in any way and I'm sure you didn't mean to
sound as nasty as you seemed to to me.

>From: "James Purchase" <jpurch@interlog.com>
>Subject: Core Values after a Walk in the Park

I find 1-5 acceptable but if there is a vote on whether or not to have
plants (see my earlier posting about what "plants" means) in the contest
only and the rest in a showcase, I will probably go for that - just because
I still believe the premise started with planted aquascapes [and I just
can't shake that feeling]. Hope I haven't offended anyone. IF we go with
1-5 then I don't believe in weighted score sheets to give planted tanks an
edge. And I feel we will have to include judges who are not aquatic
garderners to be fair. Now if we only get 2 entries without plants the
question really does become moot.

>From: "David VanderWall" <dvanderwall@uswest.net>
>Subject: Simple ... Okay, Not Really

Hi David V.

>Maybe I made up those agenda points.  I'm sorry I can't seem to break this
>down without knowing a little bit about where were going to end up.  I hope
>you see what I'm getting at.

I like your posting and do see what you are getting at. I don't think you
are far from the decisions most of us have reached. I feel James' reply to
you was a little hard-sounding but he probably didn't mean it that way so
please don't be put off and keep contributing. We seem to have drifted from
planted tanks only in the contest but I still think we can have a good
contest and that plants will be prominent. We're moving along and things
are coming together.

>From: "James Purchase" <jpurch@interlog.com>
>Subject: David VanderWall - simple???

>This is gonna be hard to write. It's really hard to type when I'm laughing
>so hard. Have you ever thought of doing a stint on Letterman's or Leno's
>late night shows? You'd be a natural.

James dear, This has the edge of sounding rather disrespectful and
insulting. I'm SURE you didn't mean that. This is such a tricky form of
communication. I would be most upset if I thought you were laughing at ME
the way you seem to be at David. :( Geeze I feel like "house mother". Let's
all play nice now or I'll empty the sandbox!

>I'm too tired right now to respond to anything more. But I do like a good
>laugh, thanks.

Ah ha... see David... James is exhausted and not thinking straight...
probably sleep deprived. He's an okay guy... really.

Whew.. finally finished reading this and replying ... on to other things.
Talk later.
Olga
in Vancouver