George's tantrum

At 04:27 PM 7/19/99 -0600, George wrote:

>On the other hand, consider Steve Pushack's tanks. I consider his tanks as
>being
>the epitome of what the AGA stands for - "Growing Plants Underwater". Not
much
>consideration given to aesthetics. I've heard of many senior members of the
>AGA
>that are as proud of their <aquatic plant> growing in a gallon jar on the
>window
>sill as they are of an Olga-George style tank. Maybe more so.

I know you wrote this for effect.  And you got it. <grrr>  George, PLEASE
stop coloring all your comments about AGA with your dislike of Steve.
There is room for BOTH types of aquatic gardener in the AGA.  I think you
already know that I, as well as Olga and Erik fall much closer to your
school of aquatic _gardening_ than Steve's.  We are _NOT_ called "The
Aquatic Plant Growers"... and there is a reason for that.  There may be an
emphasis on the mechanics of growing plants, because that's still where the
need is for most aquarists. (believe me, I speak to too many groups not to
know this)  Unfortunately, _most_ people are still struggling with the "how
to's" before they can even think about the art of gardening.

I hate it when I spend most of the afternoon agreeing with what you've
said, and then get ticked off at you. <g>

>>To quote from the AGA website, the organization's stated Purpose is:
>> - to disseminate information about aquatic plants.
>> - to study and improve upon techniques for culturing aquatic and bog plants
>>   in aquariums and ponds.
>> - to increase interest in aquatic gardening.
>> - to promote fellowship among its members.
>
>I'm having trouble spotting the "aquascaping" part there. I can't find much
>mention of creating appealing and artistic aquariums. All I see is "aquatic
>farming and having a good time".

You have a good point here, and if I weren't so irritated at the moment,
it's something that I'd probably bring up to the MC, though it has no place
in this discussion.

>This is one reason I think the AGA MC
>(Master
>Control?) is unsuited to sponsor this contest/showcase. Let them sponsor a
>competition for the "Best Fertilizer Recipe" or the "Best Lighting for Under
>$10".

"MC" is management committee, and if you wanted to bother being part of the
solution rather than part of the problem, I'm sure you'd be on it.

>Oh, sorry, I forgot, the issue of AGA involvement is CLOSED!!!!! When did we
>vote on that?

George, you just finished whining about all the money and effort you put
into your video round robin.  Are you proposing that _YOU_ would like to
finance and run this project?  Are _you_ going to put it on your hrd drive
and purchase the CD's?  I think James stated more than once that HE wanted
to run this as an AGA project.  If _you_ want to organize your own party,
feel free.  This is James' party.  He gets the final say until (unless) it
is officially submitted to AGA.

Now that you _have_ made me feel like "Mom", and that I've had to slap the
hand of a petulant toddler:

>If I remember right, this whole idea started with a discussion of "What is
the
>North American style of Aquascaping?" Shouldn't we stick more with that than
>"how well does your garden grow"?  Lean a bit more towards "Whoa! Cool tank,
>Dude!" than "H. polysperma grows 4.7 cm per week without CO2".

I agree completely.

Karen