Reply to latest criteria

James suggested:

1. Theme / Concept
2. Selection / Use of Materials
3. Composition / Balance / Use of Space
4. Viability
5. WOW Factor / Overall Distinction

I suggest:
First I think that Overall Impression is better than "Wow" factor and
"Distinction" because that is exactly what is being judged.. an overall
impression. My thoughts are let's call a "spade" a "spade" and have
criteria that *everyone* can understand at a glance.

After thinking about it some more, my list:
1. Use of Materials
2. Use of Space
3. Use of Colour
4. Viability
5. Overall Impression

Comments showing why the above:

_______________
Criteria #1. Theme / Concept

This is fine... except what about all those folks who don't strive for any
particular "theme/concept"... like me and everyone in my aquatic plant club
[all possible contestants]. I don't think a single one of us tries for a
"theme" or "concept". Are we supposed to make one up?? Is giving it a title
the same thing... "aquascape with twisted branch"??

Criteria #2. Selection / Use of Materials

Okay... sounds good.

Criteria #3. Composition / Balance / Use of Space

 - a. Is the visual balance of the decorative materials visually pleasing?

OKAY could be under Use of Space.

 - b. Does visual tension exist between the various components of the
aquascape?

What on earth is "visual tension"? None of my elements have ever bared
their teeth. <g> I've never planted a plant in my life, in or out of water,
considering "visual tension". I wouldn't have the foggiest notion how to
judge this. I don't think one in ten people entering the contest would know
what you were talking about. Explain "visual tension" to me in a simple
sentence.

 - c. Is the viewer's eye drawn into the scene and encouraged to flow
through it, and to linger on specific details?

OKAY for under Use of Space.

 - d. Do the various materials/decorations/plants provide pleasing visual
stimulation to the viewer? (editorial comment - color use would fall under
this.)

This seems to me to be covered several times over by other things. I think
"Use of colour" is staightforward, easy to understand and better and that
colour should be separate from the other things.

 - f. Is space within the aquascape used effectively?

 - g. Do open spaces balance and compliment the more enclosed spaces and the
display as a whole?

 - h. Are open spaces and more enclosed spaces used in such a way as to
provide visual excitement within the scene?

These three are fine and would be good under "Use of Space". [What happened
to E?]

Criteria #4. Viability

Like this

Criteria #5. "WOW" Factor

This is fine except should be "Overall Impression" which is just what it
is. Internationally "Wow" may not mean too much.

Olga
in Vancouver