More on Judging Guidelines

Olga wrote:

"I suggest:
First I think that Overall Impression is better than "Wow" factor and
"Distinction" because that is exactly what is being judged.. an overall
impression. My thoughts are let's call a "spade" a "spade" and have
criteria that *everyone* can understand at a glance."

James responds:

Cool - I'm NOT trying to be difficult here Olga, I'm attempting to reach a
consensus within the parameters of what I wrote earlier - state something in
general terms and THEN move to the specifics. Let's leave "spades" out of
this discussion, the word has other connotations which I'm sure you didn't
intend and *I* find uncomfortable.

If *you* can understand the word "Impression" better, then by all means,
let's use it. It is a good word and it conveys the same concept that I and
several other contributors to this effort think we should use.

Olga wrote:

"Criteria #1. Theme / Concept

This is fine... except what about all those folks who don't strive for any
particular "theme/concept"... like me and everyone in my aquatic plant club
[all possible contestants]. I don't think a single one of us tries for a
"theme" or "concept". Are we supposed to make one up?? Is giving it a title
the same thing... "aquascape with twisted branch"??"

James responds:

See George Booth's earlier comments about "plants underwater". This is an
AQUASCAPING show for heaven's sake. I'm sorry that you are unaware of
consciously doing something in a particular way because it has become second
nature to you, but you ARE doing it none the less. I'm NOT suggesting that
aquascapes be given "titles" like some folks name their photographic images
(I find it kind of pretentious) but in MOST good aquascapes, like in MOST
good landscape gardens, there WAS conscious thought put into the arrangement
of the basic elements used.

For example, say you have a 6' long tank and you wanted to give the
impression of a section of a tropical stream. You might choose to place
several pieces of driftwood in such a manner that they appear as they would
after being affected by the current of the water. You could also place rocks
and selected plants as they might exist and grow under the influence of such
a current. The background could be covered in a way to give the impression
of the stream bed coming up to meet the shoreline. Powerheads or the filter
outflow could be placed at one end of the tank, producing such a current,
with the water being drawn into the filter from the opposite end of the
tank. THIS would be a consciously themed aquascape, the success of which is
largely dependant upon the choices made by the aquascaper.

Merely placing a bunch of hygro here or there, and a few Crypts willy nilly
is sure to produce less of an "aquascape" and more of a "bouquet of flowers,
underwater". If that's what everyone in Vancouver is doing, I'm sorry, I
guess they might not win the Contest, but they can still display their
efforts in the Showcase. Having seen photographs of your aquascaping
efforts, I don't think that is the case. You might not be consciously
thinking about what you are doing, but you are obviously doing something
right.

Olga wrote:

"Criteria #2. Selection / Use of Materials

Okay... sounds good."

James responds:

Thank heaven's we can agree on something!

Olga wrote:

"Criteria #3. Composition / Balance / Use of Space"
<snip>
"What on earth is "visual tension"? None of my elements have ever bared
their teeth. <g> I've never planted a plant in my life, in or out of water,
considering "visual tension". I wouldn't have the foggiest notion how to
judge this. I don't think one in ten people entering the contest would know
what you were talking about. Explain "visual tension" to me in a simple
sentence."

I could quite accurately describe "visual tension" as the feeling I got when
I first read that initial sentence!

I seem to be getting the impression that you feel these Judging Guidelines
should be written for Homer Simpson. I'm not taking a slam at you Olga,
because everyone's background and experiences are different and equally
worthy of respect, but you obviously have never studied art or esthetics
even casually, and you seem to think that those of us who HAVE are trying to
pull the wool over your eyes, or confuse you.

While the Guidelines will be made public and available to all entrants, we
have to describe some *possibly* unfamiliar concepts. Not *everyone* is
going to understand.

The "suggested" questions which I listed under each of the Criteria in my
earlier post, were merely that - "suggestions". If *you* can't understand
them, may I suggest that some others *might*. And if you want a concise
definition of "visual tension" may I suggest that you read "Visual Concepts
for Photographers" by Leslie Strebel, Hollis Todd and Richard Zakia,
published by Focal Press in 1980 (ISBN 0 240 51025 9). Alternatively, you
could visit the Vancouver Art Gallery and spend an afternoon contemplating
the paintings. You will see plenty of "visual tension" there.

You can think of "visual tension" as a dynamic balance within the scene, be
it a painting, drawing, or an aquascape. Are all of the elements working
together to make the whole seem "dynamic" and "alive" or is it just sitting
there looking like a plant in a pot in a container of water?

If it seems that I am getting a bit testy here, it is because whenever the
subject of *art* or *craft* comes up you seem to get *very* defensive.
Nobody is out to get you, but please stop slamming something you know very
little about, and which could be very important in elevating this event
above the level of a jam making contest at a county fair..

Olga wrote:

"- d. Do the various materials/decorations/plants provide pleasing visual
stimulation to the viewer? (editorial comment - color use would fall under
this.)

This seems to me to be covered several times over by other things. I think
"Use of colour" is straightforward, easy to understand and better and that
colour should be separate from the other things."

James responds -

You are DETERMINED to get color listed aren't you? Why don't YOU explain
"use of color" to the group?

Olga wrote:

These three are fine and would be good under "Use of Space". [What happened
to E?]

James responds -

"E" fell under the chair, and I forgot to pick it back up and post it in
with the others. Its all dusty now, so we can forget about it.

Olga wrote:

"Criteria #5. "WOW" Factor

This is fine except should be "Overall Impression" which is just what it
is. Internationally "Wow" may not mean too much."

James responds -

As I said, if this wording works for *you* and is acceptable to the rest of
the group, I can go along with it.