Oh boy.. better get this straight

James wrote:

Cool - I'm NOT trying to be difficult here Olga, I'm attempting to reach a
consensus within the parameters of what I wrote earlier - state something in
general terms and THEN move to the specifics. Let's leave "spades" out of
this discussion, the word has other connotations which I'm sure you didn't
intend and *I* find uncomfortable.

Olga says:
A spade is a flat bladed, square-edged gardening too. To call a spade a
spade is a very old English expression with absolutely nothing politically
incorrect about it and I refuse to let it be made into something that is
politically incorrect. Just needed to get that bit straight.

James wrote:

For example, say you have a 6' long tank and you wanted to give the
impression of a section of a tropical stream. You might choose to place
several pieces of driftwood in such a manner that they appear as they would
after being affected by the current of the water. [etc]

Olga says:

I'm not trying to be difficult but you have just made my point. I have not
ever been trying to give an "impression" of anything. When I aquascape I
put things in, step back... think.. no this would look better there and
this here...this plant's colour goes better behind that plant and this
one's texture looks dynamite in front of this piece of wood... etc.
Sorry... no streams, ponds, edges, banks or end of anything come into my mind.

James says:
If that's what everyone in Vancouver is doing, I'm sorry, I
guess they might not win the Contest, but they can still display their
efforts in the Showcase. Having seen photographs of your aquascaping
efforts, I don't think that is the case. You might not be consciously
thinking about what you are doing, but you are obviously doing something
right.

Olga says:
Well, all I know about others in Vancouver is that no one has ever said to
me, when I see their aquarium, that they have been trying to achieve a
certain look of something. Perhaps they are striving for something. I shall
start asking.. but carefully because I don't want them to think that they
*should* be. Thanks for the compliment... not bad for a "Homer" eh? <g>

James responds:

Thank heaven's we can agree on something!

Olga writes:

Of course we do.

James snips: <g>
I could quite accurately describe "visual tension" as the feeling I got when
I first read that initial sentence!

I seem to be getting the impression that you feel these Judging Guidelines
should be written for Homer Simpson. I'm not taking a slam at you Olga,
because everyone's background and experiences are different and equally
worthy of respect, but you obviously have never studied art or esthetics
even casually, and you seem to think that those of us who HAVE are trying to
pull the wool over your eyes, or confuse you.

Olga replies:
Ah ha... guess I have shed my Homeresque disquise. I'll try to keep it
short. I grew up with liberal bastings of art. My Dad was a Mensa IQ who
had to leave his Oxford heaven to bolster the family fortune during the
depression. He studied art in Paris and was an accomplished artist before
coming to Canada. My brother and I grew up with all the arts, visual,
audible and performing. We had no TV [on purpose] and from the age of 5 to
14  I spent almost all my spare time drawing/painting/reading [other kids
thought we were odd]. I did water colour and oil, pastels and charcoal,
soft pencil and india ink. I did sculpting and ceramics and paper mache and
etc. etc. From the age of 8 I was taken to opera, ballet, concerts and
theatre. I could eat a lobster in good resaurant with no help when I was 10
and had no problem with the finger bowl [in case you're wondering, this is
an "art" too]. I grew up priviledged when it came to "Art" and gracious
living which, BTW, did not translate into "rich".

I do think terms like "visual tension" are pretentious and I'm not afraid
to say so *because* of my background. Keep in mind that I work at a
University and have been exposed to all sorts of pretentious rubbish [along
with the good stuff] in the name of Art and Literature. There are mountains
of it... enough to fill several libraries as anyone who has been around
academics knows.

James say:
While the Guidelines will be made public and available to all entrants, we
have to describe some *possibly* unfamiliar concepts. Not *everyone* is
going to understand.

Olga replies:
My attitude is that we don't have to use "unfamiliar concepts". They all
translate into ordinary everyday phases that all the "Homers" can
understand. Using terms like "visual tension" makes those who were brought
up with comic books for literature and cartoons for Art think that they are
stupid and cannot understand "Art". It's those kind of phrases that scare
many ordinary folks away from Art and enjoying it.

James says:
may I suggest that you read "Visual Concepts
for Photographers" by Leslie Strebel, Hollis Todd and Richard Zakia,
published by Focal Press in 1980 (ISBN 0 240 51025 9). Alternatively, you
could visit the Vancouver Art Gallery and spend an afternoon contemplating
the paintings. You will see plenty of "visual tension" there.

Olga replies:
Careful here James. I am reading between the lines of this very poor
communication medium to take the best slant on this and not be insulted but
it's not easy. I am not interested in reading what you recommend. I don't
feel any need to understand "visual tension"  because I'm sure I know what
it is... I just don't call it that. The Royal Ontario Museum and Art
Gallery was one of my favourite places as a kid... much better than the art
gallery here but not as good as the Louve or the Prado. Here you can get
your "visual tension" from Emily Carr, if you like her sort of thing. [I
don't.]

James writes:
If it seems that I am getting a bit testy here, it is because whenever the
subject of *art* or *craft* comes up you seem to get *very* defensive.
Nobody is out to get you, but please stop slamming something you know very
little about, and which could be very important in elevating this event
above the level of a jam making contest at a county fair..

Olga says:
And what's wrong with a jam making contest at a county fair? Let's make our
contest more "county fairish" and less "this is art that you peasants
wouldn't understand". [said in a friendly way with no tension (visual or
otherwise) in it.]

James responds -

You are DETERMINED to get color listed aren't you? Why don't YOU explain
"use of color" to the group?

Olga says:
Use of colour: Using colour to balance the scene .... to draw the eye...
using colour for impact or emphasis... using colour to frame, to hide or to
distract. *I* think it deserves to be a criteria by itself... perhaps other
disagree... so be it.

James responds -
"E" fell under the chair, and I forgot to pick it back up and post it in
with the others. Its all dusty now, so we can forget about it.

Olga writes:
Love it! A dusty E... wonder what that was... hummm....<g>

Olga
in Vancouver butting heads with the "East".