Re: Oh my God!.......

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, James Purchase wrote:

> I was just going through the Usenet Newsgroups dedicated to aquariums and
> came upon the following question:
>
> >I'd like to put some plastic glow-in-the-dark dinosaur toys in my tank. How
> >can I seal or treat them so they don't leach toxins, or should I be
> >concerned at all?

It's funny, actually, I helped judge a fish show last weekend (something
which convinced me I'd much rather be photographing than judging), and in
the "community aquarium" category one of the criteria was "lack of toxic
materials -- 1 to 3 points".

(I've asked them to send me copies of all the scorecards, incidentally. I
think they're pretty divergent with what we're settling on, but may
interest you.  Some of the other criteria are things like "container
suitability", "cleanliness of inside", "cleanliness of outside",
"camoflauge of heater and other hardware", and the usual "fins, body,
condition, deportment" for the fish.  But of course, there was only two,
maybe three, aquascaped entries in the show, so one could pick a winner
without any scorecard at all...which is apparently what is done for the
coveted "aquarium beautiful" category anyway... it gets judged 100%
subjectively.)