inflation of scores...

James wrote:
<<<One thing which we use where I work to evaluate job applicants is to have
a scale of 0-10. There are a number of Criteria points which are evaluated
using both written tests and oral interviews. An O.K. or adequate rating on
this scale is a 5, with superior qualities getting higher (only rarely
achieving a 10), and qualities found lacking getting lower (again, hopefully
only rarely would anyone receive a 0). This might be able to be applied in
this case as well, although I realize that it might be like comparing apples
and oranges.>>>

Ah, that brings up an idea!  Where I work, we use a similar rating system
for our performance evaluations.  Unfortunately, the scores have been
inflated (due to "da boss" wanting his guy to get promoted) to the point
where getting an "average" score will end your career.
I'm not sure whether we want everyone who enters this contest to score above
an 80% just to make 'em feel good.  If not, we need to make sure that the
judges realize that an "OK" aquascape is average (average being half of the
available points).  That would mean that aquascapes that just look "OK" are
going to get scores around 50%.  Sounds terrible, huh?  But it will make it
much easier to judge, I think.  We're gonna post the winners with more
colorful descriptions than just "97.3%" anyway, right?

Hope this makes sense...
Dave Engle