RE: Criteria, Judging & Privacy

James asked:
1. Do we leave the Criteria stand alone, by themselves (just the words), or
do we attach brief, descriptive sentences or a paragraph to each of them, to
make certain that the Judges know what we wish considered under each
Criteria?

Ken replies: I think we should provide as much detail as possible regarding
what we mean by such things as color, balance, use of space, use of
materials, etc. That is not to say that we setup the criteria in such a way
that WE determine the final out come of the Showcase/Contest. However, we
should provide enough information to let the judges know what we are talking
about. Depending on who the judges are, there will probably be some that
will need no explanation, but others who won't have a clue as to what
"viability" means. Besides that, we should have some clear-cut definitions
so the judging will be as consistent as possible in subsequent years.

James asked:
2. We have discussed at length the pretty wide spread hope that the Judges
will provide some feedback on the entries which they review..... Does anyone
have any concerns that this might backfire on us if the comments are
negative and/or someone takes them the wrong way?

Ken replies: I would like to see a block on the entry form giving us
permission to use the photographs and to publish the judges' comments. After
the judging is completed and the results tabulated, we would only publish
the judges' comments about the winners (maybe the top three in each
category). I would think that most of the winners would have very few
"negative" comments about them. By doing this, we can keep the published
negative comments to a minimum while still providing an opportunity for the
"viewers" to learn why the judges thought certain entries were the best.

Ken Guin
Arlington, VA