Criteria Descriptions

I was trying to make some descriptions about the criteria and come across
the descriptions some of you posted specially the ones from James. The
discussion originated with James descriptions was really not very
constructive and said a little about the descriptions itself. Because I
think that James' questions/descriptions are very good I'm reposting them
with minor changes and additions from others ideas so we can think on them
again. I think these are the best ones we have till now so lets begin with
them and hopefully we receive more constructive comments this time.

Before the descriptions I will like to copy two definitions I found on
Internet for Composition and Balance which to me are the hardest to define
criteria. The first definition if from an art point of view and the second
from a photography point of view.
Composition:
1- The plan, placement or arrangement of the elements of art in a work,
usually according to the principles of art. The design of a composition
should either be pleasing or otherwise expressive.
2- The pleasing arrangement of the elements within a scene - the main
subject, the foreground and background, and supporting subjects
Balance:
1- A principle of art, it refers to the way the art elements are arranged to
create a feeling of stability in a work.
2- Placement of colors, light and dark masses, or large and small objects in
a picture to create harmony and equilibrium.

Now on the Criteria and their descriptions/questions:

1.  Overall impression
a) Does the aquascape make a significant positive visual impression upon the
viewer?
b) Do all parts of the aquascape work together to present a harmonious
whole?

2.  Composition / Balance
a) How well is the tank laid out overall?
b) Is the visual balance of the decorative materials visually pleasing?
c) Does balance exist between the various components of the aquascape?
d) Is the viewer's eye drawn into the scene and encouraged to flow through
it, and to linger on specific details?
e) Do the various materials/decorations/plants provide pleasing visual
stimulation to the viewer?
f) Is space within the aquascape used effectively?
g) Do open spaces balance and compliment the more enclosed spaces and the
display as a whole?
h) Are open spaces and more enclosed spaces used in such a way as to provide
visual excitement within the scene?
i) If the aquascape has/is a concept/theme/biotype, is it executed in a way
that fits with the ideas and goals of the tank?

3.  Selection and Use of Materials
a) Are the materials selected for use in the aquascape appropriate for use
in an aquarium?
b) Are the various materials harmonious with one another? - i.e. if several
pieces of driftwood or several rocks used, do they compliment one another or
do they produce a discordant effect?
c) If employed, are the plants used in the aquascape appropriate for use in
an aquarium and are they in good condition?
d) If employed or visible in the image, are the fish and or other animals in
the tank appropriate for use in the aquascape?

4.  Viability
a) Is the aquascape set up and arranged in a manner and using materials that
are likely to lead to failure of the set-up, or in a manner which would be
impossible to maintain on a long term basis as an aquarium using proper
maintenance techniques?
b) Is the aquascape obviously set-up and arranged in such a manner as to
work long term as an aquarium?
c) If employed, are the plants species adequate for the size of the
aquarium?

I would still be working on this but its kind of difficult to come with a
single paragraph for each criteria that include all this questions.

Jose