So, now I'm elitist?

Jennifer wrote:

>Is this still the right list for the contest discussion?

Yes, Jennifer, this is the correct list.

>I thought the point of this list was to have people's
>opinions on the contest and I would think that would include the mock
>contest as well.

You aren't mistaken, that IS the purpose of the list.

> Maybe I missed something though.  I sometimes don't
>get all the postings, so maybe I just missed this as well.  I saw that
>James Purchase wanted some mock judges for the mock contest, but I
>thought that only the "respected" people on this list should apply as
>judges, so I didn't.

If you saw my invitation, which was open to _everyone_, you haven't missed
anything. Everyone is here of their own free will, so all I can do is _ask_
that people get involved. Anyone who choses not to is free to do so. We all
have varying amounts of time and energy to devote to this and I realize that
not everyone would care to get involved with the mock contest.

The mock contest, in order to be done as realistically as possible was set
up on a _separate_ website. Due to the fact that the owner of _some_ of the
images which are on that web-site and which were used for the Mock Judging
specifically requested that they NOT be put on general display, I have not,
and will not, be making the URL of the site publicly available. I have
permission from the owner to use them for the mock judging and that is all.
Once we have discussed the results of the mock judging and settled on our
procedures in that regard, the other web-site will be taken off-line.

>My opinions may not get the same "weight" as others,
>but that doesn't mean that I should be excluded.

I don't know where you got the impression that your opinions aren't given
just as much weight as anyone else's, but I can assure your that on those
rare occassions when you have ventured to give your opinion, it HAS been
listened to.

As for feeling excluded, I don't know why anyone should feel that way - I
invited _anyone_ on this list who cared to do so to try the mock testing. If
you had wanted to get involved you could have. It is true that the
discussion for the next little while is probably not going to make sense to
anyone who wasn't a mock judge, but those are the breaks - the issue of
judging guidelines and the policies and procedures surrounding them are
important. I want them discussed throughly and settled before we can move
beyond them.

So, please don't feel that you are being ignored. But don't feel either that
you are being catered to - I am primarily concerned with arranging a
showcase/contest here of a type and magnitude which has never been attempted
before, as far as I know. I can't do that myself, it takes input from lots
of people. There are plenty of people here who have not provided _any_ input
so far. I can only really concern myself with folks who wish to get actively
involved in helping see this thing become a reality.

Hope this makes things clear for you Jennifer, and I hope that you jump in
with your comments when you feel able.