RE: Mock Judging results Part II

Part II (Continued from previous Post)
James wrote: >>Categories We have to decide what kind of Categories we want
to set up, keeping in mind that this is NOT a typical fish show.<<

Ken writes: This ain't gonna be easy. I realize that the mock judging we
just did was VERY limited, but how would you have grouped those five (six)
entries into categories? From the beginning, I believe we all agreed that we
would have to decide on categories once we receive all the entries. I don't
know why we should decide that now. The categories will probably fall into
place once we get all of the entries. If there are some entries that are
really oddballs, we would have the flexibility of including them into a
separate category ourselves, or melding them into the more traditional
categories that will surely reveal themselves as we examine the entries.
Again, this is going to be part of the VERY hard
receiving/sorting/coordination phase.

James wrote: >>Do the Judges look at ALL of the entries in each Category or
do we have specific experts/judges examine and rate only those entries in
particular Categories?<<

Ken writes: I believe each entry should be examined by each judge,
regardless of category. Unless, I am wrong, I am not sure  we are going to
have the luxury of having enough judges to have specialized judges in
particular categories. However, if we anticipate that there are more than
enough judges to do this, I think it would probably work.

James wrote: >>- How many entries are required before a Category can be
examined and a winner declared?
Ken writes: If we wait until we see how many entries there will eventually
be, I think this will fall into place. When we announce the
showcase/competition, I think we should encourage all types of aquascapes to
be entered. We could tighten down the definition of "aquascape" to eliminate
things like "reef tanks", fakes, etc., but if we get some beautiful examples
of aquascapes we didn't have the foresight to predict, why should we exclude
them from the competition? In subsequent competitions/showcases, we should
have a much better feel for what the categories will be. I just think it
would be more prudent to wait to see what we are dealing with before the
categories are decided.

James wrote:>>- Is only First Place to be awarded, or do we award 1st, 2nd
and 3rd Place? What about Honourable Mentions for tanks which are nice but
don't place?<<

Ken writes: I would go along with 1st, 2nd and third places, with honorable
mentions in categories that have enough entries and deserve to be mentioned.
I would also like to see the Best of Show award too.
James wrote >>General  How feasible is it to provide Judges with all entries
on CD-ROM for judging? This is really up to Erik. How much would each CD-ROM
cost?<<

Ken writes: If Erik can do it, I think this is the only way to go. If each
judge reviews each entry and they have to review it via the Internet, we
might lose some judges along the way unless they have high speed access.
Although I realize that the mock judging was our first attempt at this, and
James you did a heck of a job doing it, I found the process to be confusing,
problematic and time consuming. Given the same circumstances, and I were a
judge with the responsibility of reviewing 100 or so entries, I believe I
would be looking for a way out. AND, I have high speed access.
Ken Guin
Arlington, VA